Saturday, March 27, 2010

Not Again...


One of the saddest, scariest days of my life happened in February of 2008 as I watched my 4 month-old baby girl board a life flight helicopter and fly away without me. The next few days were spent at Primary Children's Hospital suctioning her nose and watching her oxygen monitor. That was not fun at all, but we survived it, just like everything else.
I was very excited last RSV season, because we dodged the bullet and Ella didn't get sick. I guess I got too comfortable this season, because she wound up sick and in the hospital again. I thought it was hard being in the hospital with a 4 month-old, but boy was I wrong-- Two year-olds are much tougher (in every sense of the word).
Here are the highlights...
  • Suctioning her nose for the first time in the ER, she got so upset that she stopped breathing and turned purple
  • Holding her down for more than half an hour while the nurses tried to put an IV in (they tried but were never successful)
  • Waiting in 2 different ER's from 6:30pm and FINALLY getting into our room at around 4:00am--Oh and the room was a shared room--Yikes!
  • Dealing with a delirious and very ticked-off little girl--All she wanted to do was sleep and she just couldn't settle down. It was horrible for both of us.
  • Getting moved to a single room because Ella wouldn't stop crying (Good job, Babe!)
  • Ordering whatever she wanted to eat from room service and having them know her name when they answered the phone--Mac and cheese was her favorite, with apple sauce as a close second.
  • Playing with kitchen toys and Barbies dressed in colorful sticky bandages.
  • Countless prayers, phone calls, texts, and expressions of concern for us--Ella is sure loved!


1 comment:

  1. That is the saddest thing. I hope you are all doing okay.

    ReplyDelete